Header gaskets, again.

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
I am installing headers on a Gen 1 Markiv 454. I need to know the best killer gasket /bolt combo, for this application renders re-torque virtually impossible.
These will be Hedmans with a 3/8" flange. I am thinking solid copper gaskets with some kind of locking bolts. Safety wire is a no-go.(No way to install)

I have the alum header gaskets and collector gaskets since the new motor install last year,have only re-torqued them once and that was after the first heat cycle,i have put a wrench to them a couple times since to check for looseness,but so far they have stayed tight.

I know it sounds funky Jeff, but I have used locktite RED and it's been fine for a couple years now....

don't even LEAK....but it's a L98 factory alum headed SBC not a BB, so YMMV.....

:gurney::banghead:

Bird,

I just installed a set of Hedmans last week, I was told by them to install the paper gaskets, and spray them on both sides with copper spray. It started up with no leaks anywhere. I will recheck the bolts after alittle run time. Summit seals the Stage 8 bolts that supposedly want come loose. Pricey at 45 dollars.

I have used 12pt Flange Head bolts. They work good and use a small diameter socket that makes it easy to get next to the pipes.

I find that the copper gaskets only work if the bead fits perfectly on the header flange.

I ALWAYS blow out the composite gaskets, so I find the best ones are the steel core gaskets. Don't blow out and they're not fickle like copper.