C5 Air Intake Filter/bridge

Bullshark

I was thinking about fabricating something like a Blackwing or some other type of "other than stock" air filter/bridge on my 2000. I notice that most of the aftermarket units are wide open. My question is about water ingestion. How does the water keep from being sucked in by the open filter element? Has anyone taken a K&N type filter, modified it with the appropriate IAT sensor and interfaced it with the existing bridge? I would also like to find one that doesn't require changing the MAF.

Thanks, any help for this Old school C3 aficionado is appreciated.

Bullshark

Maybe put an aluminum shield in front of it

I've seen the hood made so that it had a real short but wide opening so that air can flow over the radiator support and into and air box, then you dont have to cut the support or move the filter from the stock location

I was at a car show today and was looking at what other people were using for induction on C5/6's. There was only one car there that didn't have a Halltech airbridge. It looks like it would be pretty immune to water.

I talked to a guy and he said the 2001-up had the IAT close to or part of the MAF but that Halltech made a system for the 2000.

Thanks Larry, I took a look at the Halltech web page. The only one they list for the 2000 is the Stinger. From the pictures it looks very much like the Blackwing setup. Glad to hear it will handle the rainwater challenge. $350 sounds pretty pricey though, Wonder if I could make my own cheaper? :skeptic:

S1010-2.jpg

Bullshark

$350 is nuts! I have a C5 airbridge without the filter boxes. If you want to try to make something I'll send it to you.

Thanks Larry, I took a look at the Halltech web page. The only one they list for the 2000 is the Stinger. From the pictures it looks very much like the Blackwing setup. Glad to hear it will handle the rainwater challenge. $350 sounds pretty pricey though, Wonder if I could make my own cheaper? :skeptic:

S1010-2.jpg

Bullshark

Look at my setup on my site, or pix I uploaded here.....the up and over crap came off the net....including the 3.5" tubing...I had to collapse it a bit for clearance to the hood, even though the hood is all cut out under the scoop...