Scat vs. Eagle Vs. Callies

TimAT

Addict, Cruise-In Bird-Run 1 Veteran
I'm kicking around ideas for Ol' Red. It scares me to think of that LS-7 crate motor getting broken, so I'm thinking about a heart transplant. I was thinking about building a 540, but the cost difference between that and a 496, I can't justify the 540. So looking at 496 rotating assemblies--

Both Scat and Eagle have the parts- crank, rods, pistons.

Anyone have any comments on the difference/durability of Scat or Eagle? Callies seems to have a really good crank, but they're also really proud of it. I'm assuming the same with their rods. Same with Childs & Albert.

I'm looking at 4340 forged cranks, 4340 H-Beam rods with ARP bolts. The cost between Scat and Eagle is not really a factor. I'll probably not run it hard enough to make the cost difference between the Scat/Eagle and Callies worthwhile.

Glenn found a block, and when I get this rolling I'll use ARP studs on the mains, and very likely AFR Heads.

I like Scat over Eagle as far as quality and sizing and we have been using the Callies Compstar cranks and rods with great results and their sizing is dead nuts from journal to journal and you don't see that with the Eagle and Scat cranks.

Nowadays the forgings come from China, my engine builder (M&R in Cali) uses China parts and at least these guys are honest an tell you it's from China... if you order from Summit/Jegs/whatever and you pay for Scat/Eagle how do you know if it's a China forging or not ??
I remember when I bought my 383 short block I asked for a name brand timing chain/sprocket set and they told me that they're more than happy to charge me $40 extra for the name brand stuff but the only difference is the box....

I don't mind a China forging if a good builder final machines and fits it.

I'm also confident that a new nodular iron crank is a lot stronger and better than a 30 year old cast crank (did the BB have cast or forged cranks ?)

From what I've gathered, a BB could have either one, depending on what it was/is. My LS-7 is forged for sure, 1053 steel I think.

I'm not 100% sure if I care where the forging came from (I'd really like US made), but at the same time, if it's dimensionally correct and true, with no hidden defects, why worry? From the post above from Carl, it looks like he's found the dimensionally correct part may be a tough one.

Motorhead just had a thread about this at CF. One brand had excessive run out on the center main, and one was dead on. Forgot which one.:bomb:

I may have a lead on a rebuilt 496 for you too. :cool:(Call me)

I'm kicking around ideas for Ol' Red. It scares me to think of that LS-7 crate motor getting broken, so I'm thinking about a heart transplant. I was thinking about building a 540, but the cost difference between that and a 496, I can't justify the 540. So looking at 496 rotating assemblies--

Both Scat and Eagle have the parts- crank, rods, pistons.

Anyone have any comments on the difference/durability of Scat or Eagle? Callies seems to have a really good crank, but they're also really proud of it. I'm assuming the same with their rods. Same with Childs & Albert.

I'm looking at 4340 forged cranks, 4340 H-Beam rods with ARP bolts. The cost between Scat and Eagle is not really a factor. I'll probably not run it hard enough to make the cost difference between the Scat/Eagle and Callies worthwhile.

Glenn found a block, and when I get this rolling I'll use ARP studs on the mains, and very likely AFR Heads.

I'm VERY impressed with the Scat rods I put in the 400. I'll use Scat products
from now on.:wink:

Callies is the best quality.

I've heard different opinions on both scat and eagle.
I used eagle because of cost reasons. It was within spec.

The Callies Compstar cranks are from over seas but they are machined in house and heat treated in house, But the good Crower and Callies cranks are from Japan

I've had good luck with my Scat parts. Forged stroker crank and forged H beam 6" rods. I'm sure I'll break many things before I break those.

Ive built dozens of both sbc and BBC engines in various sizes and most have been with matched SCAT rotating assemblies , MY 1985 vette that I use as a test mule/toy has a SCAT 4340 rotating assembly with forged pistons from TRICKFLOW/SUMMIT installed to replace the orriginal pistons which for my particular application were not correct.