Strut Rod Replacement Help

gr8vet

Hey guys, replacing my struts to adjustable style, due to dropping my '82 and getting the ole funky slanted rear wheel stance. Funny, I did see the the other thread on adjustable struts. I went with the VBP with rubber bushings. Ironically these where given to me by a friend. :friends:

Got everything apart except the lower strut bolt which is a pressed fit. Finally the question: How do you get the bolt out? THis is the bolt that also attaches to the lower shock mount. Use a puller? Heat and beat?

Thanks in advance!

tt

These lower shock mounts are $50 each so you want to try your best to safe and reuse them.

I cut my old strut rods and sliced the bushing and the inner sleeve so that I could get penetrating oil between the rod's inner sleeve and the shock mount. That's IMO the only way to get it loose: the inner sleeve rust welds to the shock mount - no way getting it to break loose....
I wasted one shock mount because I beat the hell out of it trying to get it to move.
They sell a tool that screws on the threaded end of the shock mount to protect it - a pipe cap from Lowes or Homedepots plumbing aisle fits just as good. Give it a try, it might work....

Just be careful: if you hit it too hard it might not only damage the shock mount but it could also break the two arms on the bearing support, now that's getting expensive....

good luck

My shock mounts were NOT rusted in very bad, I put a big C-clamp on the bearing support just above the shock mount, used a nut on the shock mount and swatted it with a big hammer after soaking it with penetrating oil. Both came right out. But as Karsten says, work carefully as things can get VERY expensive back there. Think about what you're doing and act accordingly.

Update

Just got done. And I thought changing out door locks on a '82 was bad...

Things I learned, thanks to you guys.

I took a torch, cut across the lower bushing on the strut. Was not sure what was underneath so I took it slow and easy. Had to make two cuts so that I could get the whole thing out of the way. Of course the old bushing went up in smoke. What I found was the underlaying bushing has an inner collar, this collar is what is rusted to the bolt. THe pressed fit on the end of the bolt is not that big of a deal. Took a wedge and lightly beat the inner collar, which is just a rolled pipe if you will, did this until it until it opened a bit, put the PB blaster to it and with a couple of whacks on the bolt end, then a huge C-clamp pushing against the bolt it popped out. Now I wont tell you how long it took to figure all this out. The first one took about an hour and half, with some experience now, the second one took maybe 10 minutes.

Hope this may help someone in the future. You guys are great, I greatly appreciate all the help!

tt

BTW, am I the only person that can cut, grind, beat, and only wind up with a gash in my head from running into my lift arm.........Jez.........:lol: