My Modified Mid-Year...

groovyjay

Hi guys,

just wanted to share some of the work I've done to my 65 coupe so far.

I chose to use a crate motor for this car, since I'm keeping the appearance pretty-stock-like I went with an old school small block from Shafiroff Racing Engines. It's a 622hp 434ci little power house. All the pulleys etc. accesories I got from CV products, man those pieces are like jewerly. Dewitts had a correct looking aluminum radiator with "hidden" electric fan to help keep the engine cool. I still need to install an electrical water pump, it will be completely computer contorolled! It will install in the lower radiator hose, no need for thermostat any more. The cool thing about this is that once you turn of the engine the water pump will keep the water flowing preventing any hot spots creating from the boiling hot water.

Here's a snap of how the engine looks today:

gB.jpg

Notice the electric brake master cylinder/booster unit! This thing creates more power than the Hydroboost unit. It weights nothign! I'll post more detailed topics about the installation with some observations later... The original ignition shielding will cover the ugly MSD distributor and the sparkplug wires. I need to work out a better breathing system for this engine.

The transmission is a TKO-600, installation was a breeze and it works like a charm, no way I would ever go back to 4-speed. :toothbrush:

The headers are from Stahl and I wanted to use the stock side exhaust covers and it required some fabrication to get the 3" custom made stainless steel side pipes tucked under the original covers, but now that they are there, they are pretty much invisible, once you start the car you'll know they are there all right. :devil:

g8.jpg

gT.jpg

Those of you who have seen my previous projects know that I always like to go bigger on the wheel game. However on this car I did stay with 18", but I wrapped the wheels with some period correct gold line tires, the tires are actually Good Year F1 supercar's, so they are pretty good tires, not just for show.

gp.jpg

As for the suspension I have Bilstein coil over shocks all around. Rear ones have KW springs. Here's couple old mock up photos:

fG.jpg

fu.jpg

The lower mount required a new weld-in bracket.

At front, it's really a semi-coil-over, but the bilstein shock should work well with the QA1 springs.

f2.jpg

I still have many things to do before I get the car back on the road like the home made rack and pinion kit:

fH.jpg

fi.jpg

There's tons of stuff I'm forgetting now, but this will get the topic going and I will post updates soon.

Jay:zzz:

Last edited:
The coil over mounts, they look exactly like the ones from ACP, did you buy them there?

I like the wheels :)

The coil over mounts, they look exactly like the ones from ACP, did you buy them there?

I like the wheels :)

I knew would regognize them. I've been to Jorg's shop few times now and he conviced me that this is the way to go. We'll see, I have pretty much tried all the other bolt on set ups on my other vettes, so it'll be interesting to see how it rides and handles... :mime:

Jay, good hearing from you again....been a while, blast from the past type thing....

can you spread out those rack brackets and take a couple really good pix of them?? and especially that main bracket on driver's side...and are you using stock tie rod ends....or those heim joints I don't like??

I see you going for the equal tie rod length with that center bracket, you sure it not going to flex too much?? seems to be one complaint about that recently....
little concerned about that main bracket construction, what you have there, vs what I built over 6 years ago....

how high is your rack, and how many universals you needing to get it into the steering column and is it collapsed???

I presume it's a Grand Am CTO GM rack like most others....rear stear....

One thing I dislike about the HB unit I have is the weight, so how does your electric brake thingy (I never heard of one till now) do by comparison?? is the pedal nice and snug in the travel, or loose and sloppy feeling in the application like a vac booster???

what else have you done about the brakes??

summfin tells me when I get done picking your brain there, it's going to be mighty bare there.....

:fishing::fishing::thumbs::smash::harhar::harhar:

nice, but I think you need to paint the front coil-overs gray otherwise you will get points deductions in NCRS judging
:D:D

Nice work Groovy! Is this beast going to be ready for the big weekend in August? This car is a brilliant combination of old school look and high tech parts. I like it a lot!

Jay, are your rear bilsteins steel bodied shocks?

I can't recall, I will check tomorrow. I have the rear and front suspension back together, it took some time to get it all fit right, but it seems to be working now. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Jay, good hearing from you again....been a while, blast from the past type thing....

can you spread out those rack brackets and take a couple really good pix of them?? and especially that main bracket on driver's side...and are you using stock tie rod ends....or those heim joints I don't like??

I see you going for the equal tie rod length with that center bracket, you sure it not going to flex too much?? seems to be one complaint about that recently....
little concerned about that main bracket construction, what you have there, vs what I built over 6 years ago....

how high is your rack, and how many universals you needing to get it into the steering column and is it collapsed???

I presume it's a Grand Am CTO GM rack like most others....rear stear....

One thing I dislike about the HB unit I have is the weight, so how does your electric brake thingy (I never heard of one till now) do by comparison?? is the pedal nice and snug in the travel, or loose and sloppy feeling in the application like a vac booster???

what else have you done about the brakes??

summfin tells me when I get done picking your brain there, it's going to be mighty bare there.....

:fishing::fishing::thumbs::smash::harhar::harhar:

That stuff is thick! As I mentioned above, tomorrow I'll go work on the car again and will post some more pics of the brackets. I have the option to use stock rod end or heim joints... :beer:

I would go up just a little, so the rim lip is just level with the fender ad the tire is tucked in, that's "perfect" imo