Default *I Want To Go Faster* Help me on my journey...

AGVI

Alrighty, I have a 550HP 500TQ 406 and was wondering if updating my torque converter from the stock unit will make that much of a difference in terms of acceleration.

Should I look into a higher rear gear ratio also?

I currently have a TH350C lockup transmission and 3.07 gears.

The car is fast, but I think I can get much more out of it. :devil:

Yes, if you choose a higher stall converter it will allow the engine to rev up to where it'll make more TQ. Should make a world of difference with your engine.

However, don't choose too high, it'll be irritating in stop/go traffic/city driving.

Why not get a manual?

Rearend gear change makes a big difference but your gas mlieage goes to crap.

I'd go with a torque converter that stalls between 2600-3200, or something close to that.

3.55:1 gears

A built four speed auto or built 5 or 6 speed manual.

After that, I hope you have good sticky tires, and an O.S. handle for your passenger.

drive.gif

Yes, if you choose a higher stall converter it will allow the engine to rev up to where it'll make more TQ. Should make a world of difference with your engine.

However, don't choose too high, it'll be irritating in stop/go traffic/city driving.

Why not get a manual?

How high is too high in your opinion?

I was thinking about a 200R4 from bowtieoverdrives with a 3000 stall and a '79 or earlier rear diff built by Gary with 3.70 gears.

I went with an built 700r4 a few years ago,I should have went for a manual,rowing the gears with a healthy motor is a blast.You'll like the change from 307 to 370's.

Why not get a manual?

I was thinking about a 200R4 from bowtieoverdrives with a 3000 stall and a '79 or earlier rear diff built by Gary with 3.70 gears.

I ran a 2600 stall on the street with no problems, I wouldn't figure 3000 would be that much different.

Sounds like your ride will FLY!:devil:

Summit sells the TKO for $1895 - or get the complete kit for $4500 from Keisler. With Summit you probably safe $1000 once you have all the parts, the pedals are hard to find.... you already have temperature problems.... a higher stall won't help cooling the engine LOL...get rid of the TH350... I assume you have a trans cooler right in front of the radiator ??

Why not get a manual?

If you have a quality TC and lockup in 4th gear OD the sky is the limit on stall

rpm. I liked 3500 and 3800 stall with my 700R4. 3.73 or 3.90 gearing is about ideal with the OD

Summit sells the TKO for $1895 - or get the complete kit for $4500 from Keisler. With Summit you probably safe $1000 once you have all the parts, the pedals are hard to find.... you already have temperature problems.... a higher stall won't help cooling the engine LOL...get rid of the TH350... I assume you have a trans cooler right in front of the radiator ??

I thought about that also, but if the temp problems don't go away, it won't change my mind about the 200R4, it'll change my mind about the 406.

I thought about that also, but if the temp problems don't go away, it won't change my mind about the 200R4, it'll change my mind about the 406.

I musta missed the post...how/when/speeds/duration-time/outdoor temps does it overheat??

by how much??

do you have a/c or is the condenser in place???

fans, what type?? shrouds?? same question....

:bump::tomato:

I musta missed the post...how/when/speeds/duration-time/outdoor temps does it overheat??

by how much??

do you have a/c or is the condenser in place???

fans, what type?? shrouds?? same question....

:bump::tomato:

http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274 :rolleyes:

:bounce:

hey les good to hear from you......why not an overdrive unit in combination with a steeper rear end . that should be a blast