82 Engine Mod

Dirtbuster1

I'm thinking about installing some headers with true duals. With the ECM, which parts can I remove without causing other problems. I know that I will have to install a bung for the O2 sensor, but can I remove the air pump without causing any problems. The engine would probably look alot better with the air pump removed.

I have heard good things about the Summit headers fitting, but I would maybe like to have some ceramic coated headers without installation problems.

Thoughts!

I can't think of any sensors that would be on the air pump, so it should be fine. Do you see any electrical connectors?

There are 2 sets of connectors going to the air pump. Their probably temp related to regulate the air.

You can disconnect the airpump and remove it. The 2 connectors for the air switching valves are controlled, not monitored. With headers, weld a bung into the pass. side collector for O2 and be done.

That sounds great! Is there any mod that can be done to the air cleaner to dress up the engine, without screwing up the air flow?

Are their any suggestions for header manufacters so that the headers will fit correctly the 1st time. I saw that Hooker had a collector back pipe kit, but it says that it is 2 1/4" verses the 2 1/2" for the stock mufflers. I might be off better to have someone custom fit the pipes after I install the headers.

Hooker super comps fit well and are good quality, Hedman Elites are reasonable to good, the cheaper ones w/ the siamesed pipes (basically full length versions of the shorties) are junk. Stans tri y's are nice too.

Aircleaner mod?

Might want to do something like this, full 2.75" stainless (with high flow cats) equal length dual system.

2486ecd388460e.jpg

2486ecd3c1dd8a.jpg

2486ecd399f3bf.jpg

2486ecd3b27a00.jpg

TT,

I shocked to see cats on your car. Will it hurt me to leave them off, or do I need them for back pressure? I guess I will also need to install some insulation under the floorboard to keep the heat out,

Thanks

Not my car, a German car. Cats are mandatory there (lower road tax)
Bakpressure is an old wives tale, you don't need any, in fact you want as little as you can. Backpressure is strictly a 2 stroke thing (over scavenging leading to power loss)

Those 3" high flow cats flow a lot more than the engine is capable of producing.

I ordered the Hedman Elite with HTC coating. The Hedman Elite come with 14 gauge pipes verses 16 gauge on the Hooker. Lifetime warranty other than 5 years on the coating. Talked with a local guy for installing the exhaust from the headers back to the mufflers. He told me 115.00 including installing a bung for the O2 sensor.

Do the pipes still need to stay in the center under the diff to keep heat away from the fiberglass spring?

Got my headers in today & got them hung. I need to go get some copper spray for the gaskets. The steering arm on the passenger side ( pittman arm?) is mighty close. My guess is it's going to be around a 1/16" by the time I pull the bolts up. That seems mighty close? Does anyone know if this sounds right, or should I call Hedman concerning this. I hate to dipple these new headers.

Got my headers in today & got them hung. I need to go get some copper spray for the gaskets. The steering arm on the passenger side ( pittman arm?) is mighty close. My guess is it's going to be around a 1/16" by the time I pull the bolts up. That seems mighty close? Does anyone know if this sounds right, or should I call Hedman concerning this. I hate to dipple these new headers.

I think you are talking about the idler arm and it can be moved slightly to gain clearance. 1/16" sounds to tight.

How would you move the idler arm to gain clearance. Would this affect the alignment?

I got my exhaust pipes installed today. I can definently feel the power difference. It's more than I expected. I still need to get the header away from the idler arm before I wear a hole in it. I tried to drive a wedge between the header & the idler arm for more clearance. That didn't seem to work. I might have to drop the header or idler arm to knock a dimple in the header. The exhaust actually sounds quieter with the headers on. I like the sound.:bounce:

Dooh! I didn't realize the pipes went down that low.

I should have gone with the cheap Summit pipes for 89.00. I have been told they fit everytime. Hedman technical support team sucks. :quote: They said the they have made this header for 26 years without any problems, & that I must have something that is modified to cause this problem.