Radiator sealing

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
Can someone please give me the rough dimensions for the pieces of sealing foam that go between the radiator and the support panel?

I have some high density foam here that I figure will do as good a job as the foam in a kit and it won't take 2 weeks for me to get it!

Just an idea of the thickness and width please...

Last edited:
These are pretty close on my 70 BB:

Sides = 3/4" thick by 7/8" wide

Top = 1" thick by 1.5" wide

Can't get to the bottom to measure, but it looks to be the same as the top.

Last edited:
On our '81 the sides are 1" thick and 7/8 wide.
The Top? ... it is no longer there.

6-29-08009.jpg

6-29-08008.jpg

Wayne,

Does yours have the CFI setup. If so the sides are the same, but the top of the radiator support does not go all the way across. I don't know if you going back with that setup or not.

On our '81 the sides are 1" thick and 7/8 wide.
The Top? ... it is no longer there.
Thanks John. Just to clarify, 1" thick meaning 1" front to back? That's what the pics look like anyway...

Wayne,

Does yours have the CFI setup. If so the sides are the same, but the top of the radiator support does not go all the way across. I don't know if you going back with that setup or not.
No Herb, all that shit's gone now - Edelbrock carb sitting on top. I'll run a seal all the way across the top of the rad support...

Thanks John. Just to clarify, 1" thick meaning 1" front to back?
:thumbs:

V-Twin said:
That's an 82 radiator support you have there in your 81

:confused: I know the car had been smacked in the left front at one time....maybe it was a little harder than I thought.
What is the the obvious difference between the two years? The dip at the top of the support?

The big dimple in the middle, it's for the hood cold air door on 82s (solenoid operated). Those shrouds are not available new (remanufactured), for someone restoring an 82 with a busted shroud it may be worth some money.

The big dimple in the middle, it's for the hood cold air door on 82s (solenoid operated). Those shrouds are not available new (remanufactured), for someone restoring an 82 with a busted shroud it may be worth some money.
:thumbs: Thanks for the heads up.
All the air intake ducts were missing when I bought the car......so I never questioned the dimple.

This photo was made day of purchase.
5-3-07005.jpg

Thanks for the heads up.
All the air intake ducts were missing when I bought the car......so I never questioned the dimple...
The ducting is part of the hood liner John and if it's an 82 hood, the ducting will line up with that notch in the rad support. There'll also be the cutout for the crossfire air cleaner...

I have two types of foam here that I can use to make the seals. One type is high density, but a little spongy the other type is actually lighter but cannot be compressed anywhere near as much as the first type.

Any suggestions as to what the original is like?

There is no duct work in my hood ..... it is an original '81 hood.

The foam on our car is extremely dense ...... it can barely be squeezed at all.
This might be do to age.... :confused:......don't have anything here to compare to.

Wayne,

The new foam I got from Zip was pretty stiff. It would not compress much at all on the sides, however the top pieces compressed quite a bit more.

Herb

Thanks for the heads up.
All the air intake ducts were missing when I bought the car......so I never questioned the dimple...
The ducting is part of the hood liner John and if it's an 82 hood, the ducting will line up with that notch in the rad support. There'll also be the cutout for the crossfire air cleaner...

I have two types of foam here that I can use to make the seals. One type is high density, but a little spongy the other type is actually lighter but cannot be compressed anywhere near as much as the first type.

Any suggestions as to what the original is like?

I have a seal kit here that I could take to a friend that could ID the density of the foam but it would probably be a number like "5lb foam" (meaning a cubic foot weighs 5lbs). I'm not sure if that will tell you anything or not.