caliper springs

hkc3

I've got about 100 miles on since installing hydroboost/o-ring calipers,new lines etc.I notice the brakes don't seem to release as quickly as before.I read in several threads some guys were taking the spring out of calipers is this why or does it just keep the pads from wearing to quickly.

I think I ditched my springs on the first of two lip seal rebuilds...saw no need of them then, and still don't....

totally useless with Orings....

do the wheels turn freely ??? front and rear?? you can move the rear wheels fairly easy untill the diffy puts resistance on them??

Based on the responses of those who ditched the springs I'll most likely ditch mine too..... I scheduled the brake rebuild for fall 2008, with my trailing arm/bearing rebuild :crutches::crutches:
:(

The wheels turn freely and maybe I'm not used to the hy/bst yet.Im running stock pads and I really like having good brakes again.It just seems like they hold a 1/2 second or so longer than they used to when I let off the brake pedal.Probably just me.

I've got about 100 miles on since installing hydroboost/o-ring calipers,new lines etc.I notice the brakes don't seem to release as quickly as before.I read in several threads some guys were taking the spring out of calipers is this why or does it just keep the pads from wearing to quickly.
The springs won't cause your brakes to stay on, they're not that strong. Dunno what their actual purpose is - to hold the pads against the disc and reduce unnecessary travel??? If there's any runout in your discs, having the springs in there can apparently introduce air into the fluid through the constant pumping action - springs push pistons out, wobbly disc pushes pistons back in etc etc...

They are to stabilize the pistons so they don't cock in the bores, compromising the v lip seal

Thanks,It doesnt seem as bad the more I drive it,I just wish I got to drive it more.

Because other calipers are designed completely different. They have the seal in the bore (a square o ring) and a smooth polished piston (so much easier to make), it's all about that V lip seal. After the corvette calipers GM wised up and went the conventional route. The corvette was just early when it came to disc brakes and after the C2 GM just carried it through. When for instance you bought a C3 in 82, did the brochures scream handing and braking or did they say brake system designed in late 1950s with flawed lip seal issue whenever you have a rotor runout problem (and still today, most shops don't check for runout on cars) or how about a not state of the art 1950s flared toe oversteering trailing arm suspension? The C4 was a BIG leap forwards but still, lots of bean counter influences there made a good system a little less good. The c5, that's when they really wised up although the transverse leaf still is viewed upon with scrutiny (but GM uses it for good reasons, like anti roll properties in the dual <- keyword!!! mounted cambered leaf springs) and the space benefit