front spoilers....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Obviously there is a point out lo in front that any spoiler will drag the typical streets and roads, speed bumps parking crap, etc.....

anyone have a measurement off their car as to location for a SUCCESSFUL front spoiler that don't drag ground in street driving???

how much forward say off the tire tread, and how high off the ground....

I want to do something, but unsure if I can, and how much is a good starting place.....

anyone??

:drink:

My '79 is lowered with 550lbs coils and I have the one piece Indy style spoiler from Ecklers. It does not drag anywhere, except one time I think I hit a Amardillo or Racoon... not sure what it was but it hit the spoiler and ripped the bolts from the 'glass....

Fortunately I cut the spoiler in three sections similar to the GM version. I did that so I can remove the center section separately, the two pieces at the fender are glued/glassed in (and I extended the spoiler a little to make the transition smoother).

Obviously there is a point out lo in front that any spoiler will drag the typical streets and roads, speed bumps parking crap, etc.....

1st...Go to the parking lot that you would most likely encounter said object...
Park car in front of object ...... measure distance from object to underside
of car ........... this is the height measurement "your" looking for.

2nd....turn wheels left to right and back till you find the area with the minimum
amount of space between tire and fender ...... 1 inch clearance should be a
good rule of thumb.......account for suspension travel.

Then let your imagination go wild ........... :nuts: :thumbs:

(Remember that tire size and suspension mods affecting ride height will make
these measurements vary greatly from car to car.)

1st...Go to the parking lot that you would most likely encounter said object...
Park car in front of object ...... measure distance from object to underside
of car ........... this is the height measurement "your" looking for.

2nd....turn wheels left to right and back till you find the area with the minimum
amount of space between tire and fender ...... 1 inch clearance should be a
good rule of thumb.......account for suspension travel.

Then let your imagination go wild ........... :nuts: :thumbs:

You think just ONE inch is enough to allow for the dynamics of a parking lot or driveway entrance?? that is my largest question is some experiences with actual measures from guys with previously destroyed spoilers, and what they had to do to eliminate the problem....or maybe a guy with a spoiler that is untouched, and get a measure from him.....

need a dynamic basis for guessing all this....

:cool::sos::stirpot:

1 inch clearance should be a good rule of thumb.......
account for suspension travel.

***AS A MINIMUM***

You think just ONE inch is enough to allow for the dynamics of a parking lot or driveway entrance?? that is my largest question is some experiences with actual measures from guys with previously destroyed spoilers, and what they had to do to eliminate the problem....or maybe a guy with a spoiler that is untouched, and get a measure from him.....

need a dynamic basis for guessing all this....

:cool::sos::stirpot:

I think your making this more complicated than it needs to be.....:D:crutches::gurney::bounce:

I never had a problem with the Eckler spoiler on the front of my '74 many years ago....... until one hazy night................ a young waitress driving my car.............. parking curb......... you know..........:banghead:

Are you after a pretty looking piece of bodywork or a functional air dam to reduce air flow under the car? Mine ain't real purty, but it doesn't look bad and it's flexible rubber so it folds. Its about 4 inches or so above the ground, it could be lower yet. It makes a noticable difference in front end float at higher speeds. I've smashed my OEM air dam with over-enthusiastic driving over drainage dips when I had 7 or 8 inches clearance and soft stock springs.
Look toward the end of 'my photos' to see a picture.

I think I'm going to try the rubber mud flap material

Mine already scraps on curbs and stuff and it's the stock spoiler

I don't drive on the street much at all though, only to bed brakes or to break in new tires

324811397cf3490.jpg

I think I want to move it forward those and get rid of the under side openings

like this

IMG_2699.jpg

Last edited: