Nostalgia racing Vettes

DJ Dep

refugee from the other place
SWC7101.jpg

This image was captured at Thompson Drag Raceway (Thompson, Ohio) on May 16, 1971. The traditional bodies of the 50's and 60's blown Gassers (Willys, Austins, Etc.) were no longer competitive and the racers were experimenting with newer, more aerodynamic shapes. Here we see the Steve Korney - Stone Woods and Cooke AA/GS Corvette
vemp_0612_05_z+drag_racing_corvettes+1963_corvette_coupe.jpg

Note the Hilborn Fuel Injection, Halibrand qucik change rear end, and "straight (truck) axle" front suspenson.

vemp_0612_01_z+drag_racing_corvettes+1963_corvette_coupe.jpg

Earl Richey was for several years the field rep for Schiefer Clutches. On his "off" weekends he ran this '63 Corvette split-window coupe in California Modified Eliminator races. Here, he lifts off at Irwindale Raceway, a SoCal track now long gone. Note the long traction bars.

How about a Vette that turns 6.20??? smash.gif

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHFTBKm9n-4[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the mammories there Dep, fun times seeing old drag pix.....

I left the track for the last time as a competitor in '68, not returned since except for a vette club fest up north....vettes and vipers and porches.....

just an occational visitor....hell even with famous G'vill just down the road an hour or so, first time there was last winter....Gator Nats...where I have posted about seeing funny/diggers run for first time in some 40 years....

been a few changes....by about 1/2 the times, and +140 mph.....flying machines.....awesome, and frightening at same time....

as we all learned again just last weekend....the Kalitta wreck....

:friends:

Those only go in a straight line! We need pics of those that go around corners ;)

Those only go in a straight line! We need pics of those that go around corners ;)

I find it funny that people were saying my thread was one of the best on the whole forum

Little do they know it was made by a banned member lol

What thread? The post vintage pics thread?

Banned? I saw you post under a different name not too long ago.

Well from the looks of things I may be following Turtlevette into band camp. I am not a big fan of having my posts sanitized for no good reason. :mad: