Is there a spec for rocker stud alignment?

enkeivette

Got the heads on finally, I was starting to adjust the rockers when I noticed some more drama! Looked like one of the rocker studs was closer to the intake manifold than the other. Placed a straight edge over them, and they're not perfectly aligned. Strage too, I run stud girdles.

Is there a spec for acceptable tolerance with these things? Or do I need to replace them? I'd hate to replace them all only to find out that this is normal.

Here we go, for your viewing pleasure:
nejk41.jpg

Last edited:
They should be straight/in line, that's a lot of difference right there. Is the stud bent maybe? Are those new heads (afr?)

Yeah I guess that means my studs are bent. No the heads are not new, they were purchased in 2005 and now have 15K miles on them. For the last 10K miles I've had stud girdles on them, which is why I'm surprised to see this. Maybe they were bent before and the girdles just moved them back in place? Maybe the studs are bent at the base and the girdles just kept them from breaking?

Wish I had seen this sooner, I would have had the heads tapped for 7/16 studs. I wonder if I can tap the heads with them already installed on the motor... eek.

TT, why do you think they bent like that? I only spin to 6K.

Last edited: