Detailing Parts...

Cj_

Specifically... the differential...

I have the diff out, and am in the process of replacing the seals. Everything else looks fairly good inside.

Now, I would like to clean up the exterior of the differential and paint it without damaging anything? What would be the best recommended path? Wire wheel? Chem tool(eat my new seals)? Media blasting seems baad...

Thanks, any ideas or knowledge would be helpful and welcome

Cj

Specifically... the differential...

I have the diff out, and am in the process of replacing the seals. Everything else looks fairly good inside.

Now, I would like to clean up the exterior of the differential and paint it without damaging anything? What would be the best recommended path? Wire wheel? Chem tool(eat my new seals)? Media blasting seems baad...

Thanks, any ideas or knowledge would be helpful and welcome

Cj

I agree that media blasting is out. The air presure will blow some media past the seals, and it won't have been worth it. I would go with a wire wheel, followed by some Rustoleum or Eastwood rust encapsulator. Better to just clean it up if not going for the whole 9 yards.

If it's painted use chem stripper and wire brush. I cleaned mine 4 years ago, it was not painted but had a 1/4" thick crust of old gear oil and dirt on there.... nasty stuff....

I used "right stuff" metal surface conditioner (etching compound) and then rattle can paint

IMG_5426Small.jpg

Last edited:
I would have media blasted it before rebuilding it,then you would not have to worry about getting any damage of the seals,or media contamination.

I was only replacing the seals. I was afraid, especially with the older leaking seals, that the media would find it's way into the inner workings and do much more damage than good.

Cj

I was only replacing the seals. I was afraid, especially with the older leaking seals, that the media would find it's way into the inner workings and do much more damage than good.

Cj

Oh,ok sorry i should have read your post better. One thing i did when i wanted to clean my trans so i could repaint it,was to get some of that tape with the metal backing (i think its alum) and cover all the seals and openings with it and then use some good degreaser and a power washer.

If it's painted use chem stripper and wire brush. I cleaned mine 4 years ago, it was not painted but had a 1/4" thick crust of old gear oil and dirt on there.... nasty stuff....

I used "right stuff" metal surface conditioner (etching compound) and then rattle can paint

IMG_5426Small.jpg

Looks good to me.