37 Degree Flaring Tools?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I need to buy a flaring tool for AN fittings (37 degree flare). I see the cheap
($30) flare tools that look like the hardware store stuff and I see the expensive ones that have rollers on the forming anvil. The Imperial 400 looks to sell for ~$180 (used) and there is and Imperial 437 that sells for about half that.

What the hell to I need just to do lines for my car?

BTW. I would like to use soft seamless stainless (#304?) but If I have to I will use seamless steel. No double flares.

The 400 is what you need, the other is for soft tubing.

I have 2 papco 600 rotomasters, they do double flares but not in stainless (well, they can but it's not recommended and don't want to crack another cone like on my 45 deg. set)

They are VERY easy to use but you'll need to scope out ebay to find one.

I bought the Summit $39 version and it does good on aluminum tubing.... when faring stainless I just clamp the sucker in my vice and use a small sledge to get the flare started.... the finish with the tool as it was designed.... a major pain.... IF they tell you the tool is good for stainless tubing they LIE.....
The $180 might be well spent money.....

Did you mean one of these Mybad?
555-80084.jpg

I have one of those and it worked a treat on standard fuel lines. Dunno what it would be like on stainless though. $29.99 from Jegs...

Yes, that's the same tool I bought. It's not all that great if you try to flare stainless. It does get the job done but if you have several flares to do I'd suggest a better tool.

I think I might try this one (less than $100 at Aircraft Spruce) and use your trick with starting the flare. I have a 30 degree hardened lathe center that might work for that.

4485d0d1fd1e4b.jpg

Nice find Jeff, I found out that the Inline Tube flare tool is a Ridgid, catalog #41162, model #377. Just bought one at Toolup.com for $93.00. I'll report how well it works.

Just reporting back. I bought the Ridgid flare tool and it works great. Looks like a very nicely made tool and less than $100!

OK, I gotta ask the dummy question now....I have a old flaring set I had for years now...english standard, not metric.....I find all the tubing on even a newer car seems to be the same old 3/8 and 1/4 and 5/16 diameter, or a close metric equivalent, close enough that I use the flaring tool and get double flares on steel with it.....so the question is, I use it with the metric fittings on the rack and the HB setup and not a problem.....

so what is the differance n that flare angle 45-37 degrees, one should work well as the other....no???

:crutches:

Gene, most automotive stuff is a 45* flare. If you use AN fittings like for fuel lines then you need the 37* tools. I have done double flares at 45* and used them on a 37* nipple, but it's not pretty or correct.

Now some of the new stuff uses an ISO "bubble" flare. Tools for that are out there too, but they ain't cheap.

I used steel brake tube and that $39 37* tool from Summit. Works pretty well, but it'll build up muscle getting everything tight.