Dexcool revisited

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Okay. This is just MY personal experience. I have read all the horror stories about Dexcool, and could have easily flushed and changed mine out. However, I left it in my 2003 Silverado untill I changed the water pump at 90,000 miles.
This is the inside of that pump that I still have. For 5 years, and 90,000 miles on a aluminum pump, I was quite impressed when I removed it. The alum block ports were just as clean. Corrosion was ZERO.
The truck still retains the original hoses.:D
34859c5db771ed.jpg

34859c5c24d896.jpg

34859c5c2b6843.jpg

34859c5c332b9e.jpg

Notice the pressed in steel thinwall nipples. Zero rust/corrosion.

WOW... looks like the pump I just replaced on my Z28 ('99 LS1 aluminum block)... I had no corrosion but the seals leaked.... I bet the truck pump was a lot cheaper although it looks very much like the LS1 pump.... I paid $160 at AdvancedAuto for this thing.... (still pissed)...

WOW... looks like the pump I just replaced on my Z28 ('99 LS1 aluminum block)... I had no corrosion but the seals leaked.... I bet the truck pump was a lot cheaper although it looks very much like the LS1 pump.... I paid $160 at AdvancedAuto for this thing.... (still pissed)...

That is a GM pump. The new one is a GM pump. It was over $200.:crylol:

Wasn't it Mr. Ford who said he could just give his cars away at no charge and still make a killing on parts ???

Wasn't it Mr. Ford who said he could just give his cars away at no charge and still make a killing on parts ???

Sounds like something Henry would say. I had to justify it in my mind.
1)It lasted that long
2)It came with a new sheave
3)It came with new stat and inlet
4)I'm outta my mind.:confused2:

Sounds like something Henry would say. I had to justify it in my mind.
1)It lasted that long
2)It came with a new sheave
3)It came with new stat and inlet
4)I'm outta my mind.:confused2:

WAASAY mates!!! I vote # FOUR as the most likely.....

I heer a cheer???

:devil::devil::bounce::clobbered:

I have read about all the Dexcool issues, and had a bad experience of my own on an LT1 with it. If the system ever gets any air in it, it turns to sludge, and I'm betting my 2 stock GM water pump failures at low miles (both after about 36k, both had major seal failures-coolant gushing from the weep hole) were due to DexCool. I'll stick with the old stuff.