Aluminnum heads

Cherry

DREAD NAUGHT
i picked up a set of Aluminum heads today, 58 cc chambers 195, 1,5 .

I have a new L-79 cam

Stock pistons

Question is , can I run 1.6 steel tip roller rockers

Question is , Setting a 2x4 offenhauser With two 600 Edelbrock carbs be too much?

A little help

i picked up a set of Aluminum heads today, 58 cc chambers 195, 1,5 .

I have a new L-79 cam

Stock pistons

Question is , can I run 1.6 steel tip roller rockers

Question is , Setting a 2x4 offenhauser With two 600 Edelbrock carbs be too much?

A little help

How big is the motor going to be? RPM? What's the duration of that cam?

cam is pecs L-79

cam lift .298
valve lift .447
lobe intake 110
lobe exh 118
SAE duration 291
.050 duration
223 int,,,223 exh

Stock crank
stock 350SB
5200 bottom red line ,, 7000 top red line/ hope this combination will give me some hp

I'm not aware of any aluminum head that is not good for .550" lift. It depends on the head manufacturer and what springs they installed. My Edelbrock heads for example are good for .575" lift - you can find the tech details on the manufacturers website.

What stock pistons ? L48 had cast pistons, deep dish and low CR, L82 had forged pistons and higher CR.

No idea if that intake is going to work, one 600 carb is usually enough for a 350. :twitch:

Stock cast dish piston, some one on here said using 1.6 rockers would give me a better compression. Because a 223 duration would be a little low. I was going to put in some 1.6 roller steel rockers and new speings. I'm just trying to get some input , that way I won't go over board. If I ran 2x4 with 600 is that too far out?

You'll never spin that motor with that cam to 7K rpm. Rockers do not affect compression, but they will give you more lift, which would be a good idea with those heads. And two 600 cfm carbs is way too much for that motor. You'd be fine with one. I'd go with a 650 or 700 on that motor.

What 195 heads do you have?

You'll never spin that motor with that cam to 7K rpm. Rockers do not affect compression, but they will give you more lift, which would be a good idea with those heads. And two 600 cfm carbs is way too much for that motor. You'd be fine with one. I'd go with a 650 or 700 on that motor.

At that CC and velve diameter, I"d say there are #113 stock L98 casting, same as on my 355 with flat top pistons...gives about 10.5 calc compression ratio,.....I Have a TPIS cam and NO idea how the stock L98 pistons are on configuration/top design....course I"m running DPFI, so any/all bets are off how they perform with carbs....I"d say for a carb setup, if the pistons are flat....you going to have a hell of a time getting rid of pinging with any milder cam.....my cam card sez 212/226 lobe sep of 112.....484/520 lift.....with 1.5 rockers which mine are....

I am forced to run high test or poing it goes...at 89 octane it poings a bit under severe load.....which happens mostly in the hood, if I slack just right in these mild hills I can get the tranny to upshift into 4th, and lockup, then when on flat gound again...the thing won'd d/shift unless I get into it a bit.... so it lugs, and that's when it pings under light throttle...

:flash:

He's getting one of my dual quad intakes. If he uses 2 500 cfm Performers, it will run good with the L79 cam The heads he is talking about have 58cc chambers and would raise his compression up 1 to 1.5 points from his 8.2 or so. Should be a good runner.

A 2bolt main, cast crank setup and 7000rpm don't sound good..... I did not run any CR calculator but stock L48 pistons with 58cc heads should get you in the ballpark of 9.2:1CR.... not a whole lot and maybe not enough for that cam with a relatively high duration for a stock sb....

I assume you want to leave the pistons in there. With the stock pistons I'd go as low as a Performer (Edelbrock) cam - very low duration of 194-202 or so (talking off my memory, might be off by a few degrees)... I ran that cam with 64cc heads and it was fun to drive: lots of low end power but nothing above 5000rpm... a happy and cheap "medium" is a Summit brand 1103 or 1104 cam... have a look at those numbers....

take your time, the worst mistake you can possibly make is to buy mismatched parts in a hurry.... btdt....

A 2bolt main, cast crank setup and 7000rpm don't sound good..... I did not run any CR calculator but stock L48 pistons with 58cc heads should get you in the ballpark of 9.2:1CR.... not a whole lot and maybe not enough for that cam with a relatively high duration for a stock sb....

I assume you want to leave the pistons in there. With the stock pistons I'd go as low as a Performer (Edelbrock) cam - very low duration of 194-202 or so (talking off my memory, might be off by a few degrees)... I ran that cam with 64cc heads and it was fun to drive: lots of low end power but nothing above 5000rpm... a happy and cheap "medium" is a Summit brand 1103 or 1104 cam... have a look at those numbers....

take your time, the worst mistake you can possibly make is to buy mismatched parts in a hurry.... btdt....

I have used the L-79 cam in a few engines with 9.5 cr. I works pretty good with this ratio. Of course 11.1 was what was used in the 60s, but still will work with 9.5. Down about 25 to 35 horse from 11.1 but will work with proper tuning. :push:

BTY; mail going out today--yea took that long to get a stamp.:smash:

I have used the L-79 cam in a few engines with 9.5 cr. I works pretty good with this ratio. Of course 11.1 was what was used in the 60s, but still will work with 9.5. Down about 25 to 35 horse from 11.1 but will work with proper tuning. :push:

I am not doubting it's a good cam , I just don't think that a stock L48 bottom with stock low cr pistons and 58cc heads are enough to support a hot cam like this one....
The cast bottom end dictates a red line of 6000 or less (if you don't want it to self destruct)...
this cam is no good if your redline is 6000... use a lower duration cam that is more geared towards low end power, like a RV cam.... let it pull off idle and stop at 5500rpm.... with a TH350 that's as good as it gets.... if you want the engine to go up to 7000 and still make power you need good heads and a good cam/intake... AND.. you need a better bottom end (forged crank/rods/pistons).... rpm is what kills engines/cranks, not only HP.... a manual (stick) tranny would be advisable too....

I am not doubting it's a good cam , I just don't think that a stock L48 bottom with stock low cr pistons and 58cc heads are enough to support a hot cam like this one....
The cast bottom end dictates a red line of 6000 or less (if you don't want it to self destruct)...
this cam is no good if your redline is 6000... use a lower duration cam that is more geared towards low end power, like a RV cam.... let it pull off idle and stop at 5500rpm.... with a TH350 that's as good as it gets.... if you want the engine to go up to 7000 and still make power you need good heads and a good cam/intake... AND.. you need a better bottom end (forged crank/rods/pistons).... rpm is what kills engines/cranks, not only HP.... a manual (stick) tranny would be advisable too....

I have run the L-79 cam in an internally stock 300hp 327 (had all the bolt ons), and its not that radical...pretty mild actually, and even more so in a 350. Pulled pretty good vaccum, and got 15mpg with a 4 speed and 3.70 gears in a '57 Belair. Worked great for my setup, but you definitely don't want two 600s on it...I ran an Edlebrock Performer (back in the pre-RPM days), with first a 600 Holley (liked it best), then a 600 Edelbrock. I tried a 750 once, but couldn't get it dialed in right. Ran better with the 600.

Still, why use 40+ year old cam technology? I'm sure any of the cam grinders could fix you up with something better.