Reassembling after powder coating.

cgc68

I am starting to reassemble the front suspension after having the frame and parts powder coated and clear coated. The coating seems to me to be a little thicker than just paint. Do I need to remove the coating where the parts mate up? As an example the surfaces where the front wheel spindle, steering knuckle, and brake caliper mounting bracket mate. If so is there an easy way to remove it? I have had to remove some "overspray" and it is some tuff stuff.
charlie

I am starting to reassemble the front suspension after having the frame and parts powder coated and clear coated. The coating seems to me to be a little thicker than just paint. Do I need to remove the coating where the parts mate up? As an example the surfaces where the front wheel spindle, steering knuckle, and brake caliper mounting bracket mate. If so is there an easy way to remove it? I have had to remove some "overspray" and it is some tuff stuff.
charlie

In most cases you should be fine. It all depends on how thick your powdercoater actually applied the stuff. Some parts will fit, others wont. An example is where the bearing support goes through the trailing arm - you'll have to remove it from the interior of the trailing arm hole or else you'll have a hell of a time getting the bearing support to seat. Another example is where the ball joint studs go through - you need to remove the coating inside the holes if your powdercoater didn't mask that off. I use aircraft stripper (which removes absolutely everything) and let it sit for about a half hour after application. I then clean it up and neautralize it using water and soap. Be careful though, if you get it anywhere you don't want it (even when you wash it off and it travels to another spot), you'll make that area look dull and like crap, even if it only sits for 5 seconds. How'd it turn out? You got any pics? I usually use a rag or q-tips to remove the gel and stipped powdercoat before actually neutralizing it. I also use a wire wheel to clean up any remaining powdercoat. It takes time, so be patient.

Last edited:
Thanks stinger12 for the reply. I think it turned out great. I went with a Silver Vain finish. I was going to get pictures outside but was so rattle brain I forgot until my help was gone and it was in the garage. I did take pictures in the garage but I don't know how they turned out still in the camera. P K Design is who did the coating and they took pictures for me but as of date have not received them. I called once and had to leave a message will try to call today. I was waiting for their pictures before I posted anything about getting the frame back.
The front parts are fitting ok. I was concerned the thickness of the coating may be a problem. Thanks for the heads up on the ball joints and rear bearing support.
charlie