Targa Top,,,,almost refinished,,,

dreamer2468

My bf pointed out to me that my targa was severly in need of refinishing, so I started out thinking it cant be that bad,,,,lol, well, three weeks later, and still not quite finished! :suicide:
Started out with 1000 grade sandpaper, then again sanded, after letting it dry after sanding, saw a LOT of spots I missed, so tried it again and again I missed some spots.

On the third try, I finally got them all, then he took me to the store to do some shopping, and bought me some clear coat. :cool:

So I sprayed it down after he showed me how to do it correctly,,,HE IS SUCH A SWEETHEART! :rose: Anyway, I sprayed it, then sanded with 1500 grade paper, then sprayed again, and again sanded. Then I thought it looked ok,,,til the next morning, when I found spots that were unevenly coated, so again resanded and recoated.....so again third time was a charm. Did the last sanding, cleaned it off after it dried, then sanded one more time to even it out again with 1500 grit.

Polished it, then let it sit for a couple of days...looked good, so put the top back on the car, and looked up, and there was this ungodly haze, and I couldnt understand it.

:D He went out and looked at it,,,comes back in and says, come here, I want to show you something.

:lol: This is when it gets good.....I didnt think about all the dust that went under the top as I was sanding, and cleaned the top really well,,,,,,,, but not underneath! Anyway, after I cleaned it off under there, it looked pretty darn good,,,not nearly as discolored as it had been before, but have a few spots I need to work on, that I oversprayed and it ran a bit,,, and one part did a slight spider web on me. Other then that, looks GREAT! :sweat:

I have 2000 grade paper for the finish, and some scratch X to finish it off,,,,wish me luck! :)

Awesome!

It's good to see our female counter parts getting in on the action. :thumbs:

I haven't seen anyone refinish a C4 top by clear coating it.........But that doesn't mean it can't be done....;)
At $1,300 I would not want replacement to be my first option either.
Post some pics and keep us up dated on the results.
This ol' dog can always learn a new trick.

We like pics:D:D:D

Since you saved a lot of money by doing it yourself, it's time to splurge on a digital camera:bounce::bounce:

Please don't be shy, I know all these old dogs are just drooling,,, Ah EEEEEEEEE! Might there be a drop of prefection in your blood?

Good job Laura. Does your BF help much on your Vette or do you mainly do everything yourself?

Done anything else?

We work on it together, and he is showing me the ropes! I love it, and have also learned how to change the fog lamp. He did the first one, showed me how, then I did the second! :yahoo: Have also put on new seat covers, and am going to tackle the weather stripping soon. Its all a great learning experience for me!

We work on it together, and he is showing me the ropes! I love it, and have also learned how to change the fog lamp. He did the first one, showed me how, then I did the second! :yahoo: Have also put on new seat covers, and am going to tackle the weather stripping soon. Its all a great learning experience for me!
Damn good for you - not many girls out there that are interested in doing anything with cars. A few times I've been working away when my wife will bring me out a cuppa or something and I'll proudly say "how's that look" while pointing to something I've just done. She actually tries (pretends??) to be impressed but I know she's not really interested. Hehehe, she's not even going to ride in it until I've redone (read - gutted and made new) the interior!

:amused: You asking for a pic of the targa,,,,,,,,or me??? :blush:
The targa of course, we're not all sex crazed here. But seeing as you offered... :lol:

no pics of that targa top ?

what kind of clearcoat did you use ?

Actually, its not finished yet,:banghead:,,I have been distracted by quiting my old job, starting a new one, and at the same time clearing out a 10x7 storage unit by the end of the month, :gurney: plus going on 3 vette outings in as many weeks, but will be finishing it shortly. Promise pics when I do!

Will have to check again to let you know what kind of clearcoat it was, as I think I may have to sand down enough that it will require one more coat, as it is crackling in one specific area, for what ever reason.

Laura