Roller rockers failing.

enkeivette

So I'm cleaning off all of my valve train components today and I notice that the tips of a few of my roller rockers (not the fulcrum) feel rough, like the needle bearings are failing.

First of all, do I need to replace them? It seems to me that the fulcrum is really the important part as the tip just rocks back and forth slightly. I know the answer already, but I have to hear it before I pony up.

And is this the sort of thing that I can fix? Maybe by replacing the needle bearings? Or that I could send somewhere to be fixed? It looks like there is a little pin that holds the roller tip on, and if I were to hammer it out I would be able to get at the needle bearings.

i don't think there are any needle bearings in the tip roller. just a pin that goes through. isn't there a c-clip on each end?

do they feel gritty like there's dirt in them?

pop the c-clip off and inspect.

No c-clip, the pin looks like it just hammers in. One end of the pin looks like a torx bit.

You are talking about the roller barrel that rides on the valve stem correct? not the pivot ball and socket on the fulcrum. If so I'm not sure why those would be wearing unless they aren't freely spinning (which is the overall benefit of the rockers) Remove one rocker and see if you can see why the roller is wearing, ( grit, binding etc) either way if the rollers aren't ...well rolling I think the rockers are toast

No c-clip, the pin looks like it just hammers in. One end of the pin looks like a torx bit.

I bet the things are threaded internally. If you knew what threads were in there (left or right) you could remove the pin and see what's really going on. They're probably in there with some sooper-dooper Loctite.