ODD Situation

Cherry

DREAD NAUGHT
I'm in the middle of putting a 1976 back on the road.

I started rebuilding the engine, bought complete rebuild kit + reworked heads, headers, waiting to get the crank and heads in the house.

I just came by a 454. The odd part being, I would like to recam the 454 and a couple other adjustments The 454 block # 12550313, I can't define this engine as a Gen V or a gen VI. It has four plugs ""Oil Plugs? in the block cavity. I don't have the head cast number yet,which would help.

I've found the Block cast number reflects its 1991 and UP. To install this 454 I would have to buy Accessories brackets for the Alt, Power steering, AC, pulleys,
Now the Question,, For what year of a corvette do I order these brackets?

Odd situation

I'm in the middle of putting a 1976 back on the road.

I started rebuilding the engine, bought complete rebuild kit + reworked heads, headers, waiting to get the crank and heads in the house.

I just came by a 454. The odd part being, I would like to recam the 454 and a couple other adjustments The 454 block # 12550313, I can't define this engine as a Gen V or a gen VI. It has four plugs ""Oil Plugs? in the block cavity. I don't have the head cast number yet,which would help.

I've found the Block cast number reflects its 1991 and UP. To install this 454 I would have to buy Accessories brackets for the Alt, Power steering, AC, pulleys,
Now the Question,, For what year of a corvette do I order these brackets?

Odd situation

One source puts it at a 91 up Gen V and another puts it as a Mark VI bare 454 block with fuel pump boss.:confused2:

Now another source puts it as 91-95 4 bolt main 454 Mark V block

Last edited:
Now the Question... For what year of a corvette do I order these brackets?

If you are wishing to keep a "stock" appearance.................
1974 was the last year a Big Block came "stock" in a Vette.

There are drawings of a Mark IV BB in our download section. You could compare the two and see if Corvette brackets will work.

12550313 is a GenV/VI block.

If it has a mech fuel pump pad it's a VI. Also, only the VI had the 2 plugs for an external oil cooler. It's easily recognised, they are on the pan rail next to the oil filter pad.

The 4 plugs are indeed plugs, those blocks use priority main oiling and that's where the oil passages are drilled from.

As for the bracket, I think Bullshark used his OEM brackets on his ramjet502. That engine is a Gen VI BBC