Confused about MLS instructions.

enkeivette

The package reads:

"If the ear of the gasket is shorter than the block, place a small bead of RTV on the block before installing the gasket."

Que? :confused:

the only "ear" I can think of is the piece of the gasket that goes up from the deck and meets with the intake and then the intake goes across the china wall. Not putting RTV at that "meeting" point is a sure way to get an oil leak. Even if you use RTV for the intake ends, put an extra big lump of RTV at the 4 corners.

:wink:

the only "ear" I can think of is the piece of the gasket that goes up from the deck and meets with the intake and then the intake goes across the china wall. Not putting RTV at that "meeting" point is a sure way to get an oil leak. Even if you use RTV for the intake ends, put an extra big lump of RTV at the 4 corners.

:wink:

O I C, thanks Tim. :drink: I think it would be safer to torque the head down fully then sqeeze silicone in and around that gap. To prevent getting silicone between the HG and the deck.

I think you are correct- RTV should not be between the head and deck. The gasket should have a ridge on that ear so it has something to compress and seal.