Fuel pump question...

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
I have a standard fuel pump with inlet, supply and return fittings. The carb supply fitting is threaded so I can run some braided on it. However, I'd like to do the same for the other two lines. I thought about using some -6AN hard line adapters but TT assures me they'll leak.

At some stage previously, someone had shortened the tank supply and return hard lines, removing the nipples. The lines terminated (by hacksaw by the look of it), had some rubber hose clamped on, then a bit more hard line then rubber to the old fuel pump.

I've since put tube nuts and sleeves on the tank supply and return lines but need a way of connecting the braided to the fuel pump.

TimAT, I remember over on DC that you'd thought about swageing another piece of tubing onto the inlet line of the pump? Did you ever do it? What was the result? Could I get a length of tube tig welded to the fuel pump of would the heat knacker the diaphragm?

I've thought about after market, but none of them seem to have the tank return line?

I want to run with the braided so I'm not going to buy replacement hard lines.

Suggestions guys?

Oh, in that case, the feed line is suction/low pressure. You can use those hard line adapters on them then, I have done that..never had a problem.

You DO know they have male threaded ones right? Otherwise you have to buy an unions to connect the hose (right? MyBad79 :D )

Beauty! I'll go and put the damn thing back ON now! I shat myself (mental picture of a burning Vette) when you said they'd leak! :footmouth:

Mind you, I did put tube nuts and sleeves on the hard lines - they look much nicer and I feel real clever :smash:

Thanks Marck

Oh, you want to do it on the fuel pump inlet?

I did exactly that on V-Twins car: (it's a -6 size, or 3/8!!!)

248514f56ace09.jpg

My thought was to do a swedge thing to the inside of a tube, just big enough to go over the nipple on the fuel pump or tank line, then do an AN flare. Like a muffler shop does to splice a pipe.

I haven't worked out how to secure the tube on the nipple so far. I'm thinking for the fuel pump, some low temp solder and wrap the pump in wet rags to keep it from getting to hot. And then work fast. The tank line should be about the same.

My thought was to do a swedge thing to the inside of a tube, just big enough to go over the nipple on the fuel pump or tank line, then do an AN flare. Like a muffler shop does to splice a pipe.

I haven't worked out how to secure the tube on the nipple so far. I'm thinking for the fuel pump, some low temp solder and wrap the pump in wet rags to keep it from getting to hot. And then work fast. The tank line should be about the same.
I ended up putting hard line adapters on there. Your way though might work if you used silver bearing solder - that melts around 430*F. Wet rags around the fuel pump and it might be ok. I still have my old fuel pump, I might give it a go...