Fein MultiMaster...

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
Dunno if this'll be of any interest to anyone but if you're contemplating body mods, it just might.

Years ago, I remember the metal basher at our squadron had a pretty handy tool for cutting through thin sheet metal or fiberglass etc. It looked like an angle grinder but instead of the cutting wheel rotating, it oscillates at high speed. The tool is a MultiMaster made by a German company called Fein

In the near(ish) future, I'll be starting the body mods on my 82 but was really baulking at the thought of running an angle grinder through the glass panels - apart from a grinder being about as subtle as a head butt, I really wasn't looking forward to being covered in glass dust. So, I bought a Fein MultiMaster.

The blades available for the MultiMaster are quite varied in shape and size but more importantly (well, so I thought) is the fact that the blades for fiberglass and plastic etc are 22thou (just over half a mm) thick!

The tool has a variable "speed" setting and because the blade doesn't rotate, it's quite a bit safer to use when compared to a grinder - you can put it against your skin and it just tickles and no shit flies up off the job. I'd imagine if you really buried it into your arm on high speed, it would certainly leave a mark but nothing compared to losing control of an angle grinder!

Here it is:
Fein01.jpg

I really only wanted one for the body work I have planned, so only bought the "starter" pack and a couple of extra blades. The three blades on the left are the extras I bought and the stuff on the right is what came with it - one cutting blade, one scraper a sanding pad and various grades of sand paper:
Fein02.jpg

Blades are held in by a keyed hole and a bolt and washer. The more expensive ones have a fancy quick release gadget but I couldn't validate the extra money just for not having the "inconvenience" of using an allen key. You can see also that the star shape in the blade allows you to rotate and re-index the blade once it starts becoming worn in one spot or if you want to orientate an odd shaped blade differently.
Fein03.jpg

Not being ready to neatly slice into my car I grabbed this little power pack to open up. One of the wires has broken but it's a sealed unit so "can't" be repaired:
Fein04.jpg

I'm actually cutting in this pic to give you an idea of how much plastic dust and particles are (not) flying off:
Fein05.jpg

This cut was the work of about 1 minute - I took my time as I didn't know what was inside and didn't want to slice into any of the gubbins in there once I went through the plastic. It too longer for my son to pick up the camera, focus and take the picture than it did for me to make the cut:
Fein06.jpg

A couple of minutes later, the sealed box is now un-sealed!
Fein07.jpg

I know it was only plastic, but you can see that it's a reasonable thickness. Bugger all mess, didn't wear safety specs and finished with a nice neat cut. I could have achieved the same thing with a Dremel but would no doubt have gone through a few cutting discs, would have had shit everywhere and on me and would definitely have had to worn safety specs.

The tool cost me $200 and the extra blades range from $35 to $45 each - sounds expensive but they'll last for ages and do a far neater job than a 4" angle grinder. I'm not associated with these guys in any way but here's their web site if you want to read further...
http://www.fein.de/corp/de/en/products/catalogue.php

Last edited:
That looks like the Black & Decker corner sander that i have,wonder if they sell blades for it like that. I have a couple of cracks i will need to fix and that would work perfect on them :smash: