Cheap wide tires

Yellow73SB

I've been doing some reading and it seems everyone recommends street tires for there first year or so of hpde's

Do you think I should use the street tires?

So now I'm looking for some wide tires

Goodyear and bfg has 295/50/15 for 120 each

Last edited:
I don't know, but BFG RadialT/As , they're junk IMO. As are most of those RWLs

I'm a 17 inch wheel fan. The tire rack has a cheaper brand called Sumato or something like that. I know that one of lightly modded C4 ZF6 uses them for our local road racing track.

I think that he had something like 315 rear and 255 or 275 in front. I've been using Yokohama mx's for my street fronts

Sumitumo? JUNK!!! I had one come apart on me, lost the entire thread surface and it went into the opposing traffic hitting a semi in the front. I went off sideways, lightly clipped the center divider and wrecked the front spoiler.

Sumitumo? JUNK!!! I had one come apart on me, lost the entire thread surface and it went into the opposing traffic hitting a semi in the front. I went off sideways, lightly clipped the center divider and wrecked the front spoiler.

i use the sumitomos 275/40/17 for track days because they have a very soft tread rating of 160 and are just as cheap as 15" junk but perform a lot better.

the tread goes away fast. 3-4 track days then they're done.

I use Sumitomos on my DD because the 315-35-17 are less than $100 :shocking::shocking:

They are junk.... they last about 15000 miles and that's mixed city/highway driving and not doing burnouts.... did not have a failure and I'm on the second set.... I had Goodyears before and although they're $250 each they are worth the money - a HUGE difference.... doesn't really matter when you have a screw or nail stuck in the tire....
One thing I have learned over the years: the frequency of tire damage caused by foreign objects penetrating the tire is directly proportional to the value of your tire.
:ill::ill:

To contribute something valuable here: Chris, the Dunlop GT Qualifiers are (or feel) a lot better than the BFGs... Discount Tire, $100 mounted and balanced in 295-50-15..... they do price match so shop around....

Last edited:
The dunlops aren't really all that bad... and cheap.... Firestone Indy500 seem to be pretty good too from what I hear, stiff sidewall designed for trucks....

None of these can compete with a modern 17 or 18 inch tire..... :smash:

There aren't really any cheap 17x10 wheels though

No there aren't any wheels that are the correct "style" and "size", the closest match is the TTII wheel.... I saw 18x10 / 8x9 combo TT "M": on Estink/Ebay but the seller seemed to be a lil fishy...700 shipped ??????

The Ansen sprint or Minilite style would look awesome in 17" or 18".... heck, I'd prefer the stock aluminum rim design in 17"...... hello, aftermarket, hello asia... sombody please make his wheel please ???

Last edited:
I've heard that certain tires (Kumho being one of them) use a softer compound on the outside of the tire to get better ratings. But once they start to burn through, they won't be as sticky as when they were new.

Just hear-say though.

RedVetteRacer, that's very cool. :thumbs:

RVR, why you sell the car?? Two much to put back together?? what a shame....

I used '92 vette wheels I picked up from a club member up north long time ago, for like 400 bux, wheels and tires.....offer I could not refuse....

never cared for solid silver on any vechicle, so I painted them black in the center.....

the adaptors are 2.5 inch VBP and been on there for some 15 years now...

If you were going to do JUST low speed events and want just a cheap tire the sumitomo is a "OK" tire. I used these last summer for local auto-X and street tires and they did very well for CHEAP tires.

The times were pretty decent with the tires and it was NOT due to a "good" driver". I also used the same tires as stret tires and never had any problems. I agree with the fact that was posted above that the tires do wear pretty fast on the track IF you push the car hard.

I did not run any high speed events on the tires and would not advise doing so. They are cheap tires and I (personal opinion) would not chance high speed cornering with a $99 tire. I have used BFG in the past and had 0 problems with them and they really held up well even with me over driving them.

Here are some pics of the sumitomo's on my car.
DSC02724.jpg
DSC02722-1.jpg

I plan on running 255/50-15

Its essentially an F-body Tire. Probably plenty of good options.