How are your fuel cells mounted?

Yellow73SB

I just started working on how to mount mine and it's kind of a pita

I'm trying to do the cage for it right now

It's a one piece nascar cell so it doesn't have the edge where they usually bolt together

Maybe I can weld brackets onto the container

Or do an angle iron frame around the whole thing

101_1764.jpg

Last edited:
This thing doesn't have anything that wraps around the fuel cell

Edit: it must have the edge were they bolt together

248111a8d4d9f0.jpg

Last edited:
1X1 square tubing underneath (front to back) and a couple of 1X1/8 aluminum straps over the top....if you don`t like that heavy can have a can made out of aluminum with a flange at the top...
redvetracr
edited: JUST FOR YOU!!
IMG_1156.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much :D TT too

That thing is more of a race car than mine could even dream of being. same with the cars TT posted

I think I'll pick up some more 1" square tubing today and finish it

I have 2 of 6 posts done

I'll probably finish tomorrow

I'm making a bottom cage and putting straps over the top like redvetracr, but 2 posts on each side also because I don't have the flange

Ok I finished the cage around the cell

Tomorrow I will mount it and take pictures

Then it's on to the roll cage :D

Then the seat mounts

Here's a better pic of mine, without the tank so you can see the cradle

2485567ffc4e49.jpg

Here's a better pic of mine, without the tank so you can see the cradle

2485567ffc4e49.jpg

Hey TT, not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm curious what your plans are for a spare tire. I don't have a fuel cell hanging down like yours, but I do suspect that the rear toe rods on my C4 suspension transplant are far enough back that they might intrude into the spare tire bucket area, possibly limiting the space available to carry a full size spare, or just stowing away the replaced flat tire. It's one issue I haven't resolved yet.

a spare what?? :) not using one.

The C4 toe control setup should still fit with the spare tire tub, there's plenty fo clearance there.

Just get a little spare tire like a C4 has

The temporary spare has to be the same diameter as the four tires on the car. This may(?) be a problem, along with storing the full size (flat) tire that just came off the car, unless the flat tire can be "squished" in there.
A less desirable, but perhaps only option, is to put a smaller diameter spare in there, and then swap a front tire onto the flat back tire corner (to keep from abusing the posi plates on the drive home) and putting the small spare on the front. Once I get the bodywork on the other frame I'll see what the usable space looks like.

The temporary spare has to be the same diameter as the four tires on the car. This may(?) be a problem, along with storing the full size (flat) tire that just came off the car, unless the flat tire can be "squished" in there.
A less desirable, but perhaps only option, is to put a smaller diameter spare in there, and then swap a front tire onto the flat back tire corner (to keep from abusing the posi plates on the drive home) and putting the small spare on the front. Once I get the bodywork on the other frame I'll see what the usable space looks like.

Mike
If you decide to go with the small C4 type spare, let me know. I have removed mine and not putting it back in plus I have a second one that I ended up with somehow. If you need it let me know and I will send it your way.

Phil

Mike
If you decide to go with the small C4 type spare, let me know. I have removed mine and not putting it back in plus I have a second one that I ended up with somehow. If you need it let me know and I will send it your way.

Phil

Phil, I appreciate it. Once I get the body swapped I'll know how much room I have, and I'll let you know. I'm hoping to get back to Kokomo to run our events (I'm still a member of the club there) again.
Thanks again,
Mike

On my original 82 diff there was quite a bit of room between the batwing and spare tire carrier. Also, the spring pad was the most rearward part of the whole assembly. The same is true for the C4 batwing, those 2 long protrusions for the spring are further back than the toe link center mount if I remember correctly.

I lost all my old pics of a D36 mockup :( this is all I have, D44 C3 vs C4

Stock C3, a spare tire tub fits behind this

24856bdeae02c1.jpg

So I would think it would fit here also.
24856bea8665b4.jpg

how close is the fill cap to the deck opening? you might want to get some clear hose that fits over the spout of your gas cans tightly and always use those cans for race gas.

It's just mocked up now

But I'm going to bolt it to the frame

It looks like this

3248591bb6abab8.bmp

It has 8 of the things. Each of them have bolt holes that have tubes so the square doesn't crush

Wonder what the best way to mount it is