They asked why people stay away

Belgian1979vette

:amazed::bump: over at CF they were asking why the number of threads were falling... some remarked that a lot went away because of the strict policy and promptly the thread got closed ....well, well

As soon as you disagree with one of the MOD-protected individuals the thread gets locked or you get banned.... as long as you agree with everything and never critique anything (maybe post a few grouphugs) you're good.... it used to be a great forum, it went down the drain in 2006

As soon as you disagree with one of the MOD-protected individuals the thread gets locked or you get banned.... as long as you agree with everything and never critique anything (maybe post a few grouphugs) you're good.... it used to be a great forum, it went down the drain in 2006

there are a few interesting sayings over there the mods/adms like to use: "It is NOT against the rules to post bad advise or mis-information", "over posting (ie:being a post whore) is NOT against the rules" and finally my favorite!! "check the source and your facts before using any information posted here". I believe the major source of the problem to be that basic Corvette/automotive knowledge is NOT a prerequisite to be a mod at CF....FORTUNATELY for all of us VM is a NO BULLSHIT zone.......
redvetracr

Doesn't matter, bullshit or not... as long as it keeps the traffic up and the (paying) sponsors happy..... post whatever you want, as much as you want.... doesn't matter if the information is correct or not.... if somebody publicly says your info is wrong we'll just ban that member...... :lol::suicide:

I believe the major source of the problem to be that basic Corvette/automotive knowledge is NOT a prerequisite to be a mod at CF....FORTUNATELY for all of us VM is a NO BULLSHIT zone.......
redvetracr

Can we have an AMEN !!!! That is EXACTLY what the problem is.

All you need to be is a post whore, racking up 100s of thousands of posts by posting smilies, hugs and what not.

I pointed out their own FAQ entry:
Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating.

They are violating that left and right. All those mods, except for George Daina don't know squat about these cars.

Hell, they should make durango boy a moderator!

Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating.

Damn, Here on Vettemod, I thought being a mod was punishment. :clobbered:

:banned:
Bullshark

Damn, Here on Vettemod, I thought being a mod was punishment. :clobbered:

:banned:
Bullshark

Only when we are asked to translate Geneotype to English.:yahoo:

Well, not exactly...he has butter on his head also.

When all the shiat went down and old time C3ers were counting on him he was awol, supposedly a 3 month computer issue, kinda weird for a computer/network technician.

He disappeared for a long time during the "transition" ... I heard rumors that he had medical issues but then I read his post about being back after computer issues..... that was a little fishy as I would think he could have accessed the forum from a different computer.

I know, Bill, (aka Irishmac), and he truly a is good guy, at least in person. Yes, he is not a C3 person, but I didn't hold that against him. I think he was a pawn of the higher mfwics. The three things that have soured me on CF are:

1) Their treatment of small time guys that dabble in the business of Corvette parts and repair. The way they treated GTR1999 and others who would go out of their way to help us, whether or not they made a buck was :bullshit:

2) Adding some advertising for supporting vendors is ok as long as they don't get in the way of the primary purpose of "our" forum. They have taken it to far.

3) And finally, I thought they were way out of line, treating such nice, tactful, friendly forum members like TT, turtle, DEP, etc. like they were azzhats...:shocking:..:lol:

Bullshark

P.S.

4) Being able to post pics of saudi's wife ain't bad either.:D

Last edited:
I have addition to your list.

In the fall and winter of 2006, CF started a "supporting member" campaign with a sticky on each gen forum that asked for donations to help pay for new servers. This money was needed in order to keep the forum free for everybody and because of the increase in membership.

At the same time the sale of CF was basically done, all content was transferred to IB servers in the winter of 2006, no need for more servers. Where do you think those donations went? I think I know.

If that's the ethics of the people that run it, then you really can't expect much.

3) And finally, I thought they were way out of line, treating such nice, tactful, friendly forum members like TT, turtle, DEP, etc. like they were azzhats...:shocking:..:lol:

I get treated like an asshat here too.

nice, tactful and friendly? Must be another turtle.

I have addition to your list.

In the fall and winter of 2006, CF started a "supporting member" campaign with a sticky on each gen forum that asked for donations to help pay for new servers. This money was needed in order to keep the forum free for everybody and because of the increase in membership.

At the same time the sale of CF was basically done, all content was transferred to IB servers in the winter of 2006, no need for more servers. Where do you think those donations went? I think I know.

If that's the ethics of the people that run it, then you really can't expect much.

CF stimulus checks for everyone?

2) Adding some advertising for supporting vendors is ok as long as they don't get in the way of the primary purpose of "our" forum. They have taken it to far.

I think you've hit the issue right on the head but i think you have it backwards. They became a commercial venture when all the crap went down and at that point, being a commercial venture became their primary purpose. Their policies reflect that. Guys like TT, Norval and Gary do not drive business. Gary, in particular is a commercial "worst case." His methods contradict the way most commercial houses do their rebuilds and if you don't have the werawithall to do it yourself under his direction, you pretty much have to send it to him or Mike for rebuilds. DB probably drove more purchases with his posts on serpentine belts than TT did with all the posts on his car.

Simply put, CFs primary objective came into conflict with the primary objective of many that are now here.

The fact that they are now asking "where did everyone go?" is probably much less an issue of retrospective questioning their previous actions than it is declining sales for supporting vendors.

WIth all due respect to the "tactful" one, I vaguely remember him calling someone a liar. At that point the fact that it was true probably became irrelevant.

I

P.S.

4) Being able to post pics of saudi's wife ain't bad either.:D

That shouldn't be optional. Perhaps another section here? :search:

Last edited: