Who was it that was complaining about pulling the heads off in the car?

enkeivette

Sooo easy on a C3. I did everything except unbolt the drivers side head (it's ready to come off) this afternoon. And don't forget I had to pull the supercharger out first, annnd the bolt heads were stripped in my stud girdles! Started at 3pm, then I had to leave to see Harland Williams at the Brea Improv. And that includes time to eat dinner and watch Family Guy. (BTW if you live in OC go see him while he's still here, he's hilarious).

Whoever was complaining needs to do that job on a FWD car. Now that sucks.

Also, I ran that fluorescent dye in the motor before I disassembled it. That stuff is awesome. Wipe the head clean, shine a black light on it at twilight and it lights up all of the creases. I don't have any cracks in the head or the block. I did notice that two of my spark plugs had cracked ceramic tips, I assume from detonation. And a few of the head bolts didn't feel nearly as tight as they should have been. Maybe red thread locker next time? Or should I retorque them after so many miles?

Lots of room under the hood with a SB car. Give it a BB and the room starts to become a premium. Even with your supercharger.

Most of the head gaskets today do not need retorque. Unless the paper with the gasket states to retorque don't. And head bolts should have pipe thread sealer applied. I use locktite thread sealer with teflon. Stays flexible.

Most gasket manufacturers have gaskets that do not require re-torquing (Felpro Permatorque for example). Who knows what happens to that gasket when you runa SC.... to be safe I'd check the torque after a few heat cycles.
What do you do if you used thread sealer? That stuff is like glue and you can't really compare the torque values before/after the stuff cured....

Gaskets are Fel Pro 1003, not really meant for boost, but I wasn't planning on the SC. I'm no expert but the fire rings look ok to me. The gaskets came off in one piece, looks like it should be easy to clean up. BTW, the pistons were clean, cylinders are wearing perfectly, the combustion chambers were clean, the exhaust valves are still shiny, but the intake valves are coated white (is that normal? I've never seen such a difference between the intake and exhaust valves before). The motor was built in 2005, it now has about 15K on it.

I attribute the cleanliness of the motor to 91 octane (non-Arco) gas and synthetic oil. Damn I really need a digital camera.

And it was AFR that told me to use Blue threadlocker on the head bolts. The head bolts are ARP, just as old as the motor. I plan to reuse them unless someone that I respect in here yells at me for saying that.

Last edited:
Gaskets are Fel Pro 1003, not really meant for boost, but I wasn't planning on the SC. I'm no expert but the fire rings look ok to me. The gaskets came off in one piece, looks like it should be easy to clean up. BTW, the pistons were clean, cylinders are wearing perfectly, the combustion chambers were clean, the exhaust valves are still shiny, but the intake valves are coated white (is that normal? I've never seen such a difference between the intake and exhaust valves before). The motor was built in 2005, it now has about 15K on it.

I attribute the cleanliness of the motor to 91 octane (non-Arco) gas and synthetic oil. Damn I really need a digital camera.

And it was AFR that told me to use Blue threadlocker on the head bolts. The head bolts are ARP, just as old as the motor. I plan to reuse them unless someone that I respect in here yells at me for saying that.

White/tan like this? Pretty normal.
vette25.jpg

I would believe Locktite on studs. Head bolts, no maka da sense to me.
I see no problem on reusing high grade head bolts.

Yeah, that tray is nifty. Looks like you've done this a few times before. :beer:

Yeah, that tray is nifty. Looks like you've done this a few times before. :beer:

very nifty and for professionals well worth it - but for us weekend warriors a homemade tray made from a thick piece of plywood and a few drill bits is sufficient and a lot cheaper :thumbs:

very nifty and for professionals well worth it - but for us weekend warriors a homemade tray made from a thick piece of plywood and a few drill bits is sufficient and a lot cheaper :thumbs:

I use a cardboard box and punch holes in it for the bolts. Flat tray for the valve train.

That tray was $20.00.:lol:

That tray was $20.00.:lol:

Used on Ebay ? Heck for $20 I'd buy one too :thumbs:

On sale at Summit.:thumbs:

I use a cardboard box and punch holes in it for the bolts. Flat tray for the valve train.

Now that is cheap... LOL....did you get that idea from Turtle ???

I don't bother to keep track of the rocker and pushrod positions. More anal retentive BS.

I throw head, intake exhaust bolts, rockers, pushrods blah blah blah in a cardbord box. It soaks up all the oil. Then i put the box in recycling. And dirt grit mulch ect that gets on the stuff will come out in the first oil change.

Now that is cheap... LOL....did you get that idea from Turtle ???

I don't bother to keep track of the rocker and pushrod positions. More anal retentive BS.

I throw head, intake exhaust bolts, rockers, pushrods blah blah blah in a cardbord box. It soaks up all the oil. Then i put the box in recycling. And dirt grit mulch ect that gets on the stuff will come out in the first oil change.

Tell us more Daddy. Tell us about the time you were Mission Controller for Apollo 13.:yahoo: