Romoving rocker nuts without rotating engine?

enkeivette

Would it be ok to just loosen the rocker nuts as they are, with some valves lifted and others not. I don't see any problem with this. I suppose if you were to try and tighten the rocker nuts without rotating the engine closing the valves as you go, you might bend a rocker stud, but I don't see anything that could go wrong loosening the nuts.

What's the verdict?

It's not a problem- just like a tear down. Pull all the rocker nuts off. Even putting them back on, Just run everything down tsnug, then go back and adjust

No problem, it's what you normally do when disassembling the engine. What kind of nuts are you using ? I had stock style nuts loosen over 50 miles or so because I re-used them 2 or 3 times.... buy new nuts, they're very cheap.

No problem, it's what you normally do when disassembling the engine. What kind of nuts are you using ? I had stock style nuts loosen over 50 miles or so because I re-used them 2 or 3 times.... buy new nuts, they're very cheap.

Using stud girdles, they won't loosen.

Uh,no. Two different issues.

My stud girlds mount by clamping on to the rocker nuts, which are an inch taller than normal nuts for that purpose. How could they loosen?

BTW, the nuts are poly lock style.

Last edited:
How could they loosen?

Did you buy a name brand product or a cheap one ?

I have a stud girdle sitting here that has the holes just a tad too large so it would not clamp on the nuts... well, not on all of them... It does clamp on two or three because the holes don't line up correctly.... low cost manufacturing at its finest :nuts:

Mine is a no name, but they knew what they were doing. It's aluminum and it clamps on to all of the rocker nuts perfectly.

Mine is a no name, but they knew what they were doing. It's aluminum and it clamps on to all of the rocker nuts perfectly.

Try turning the rocker nut after you tightened down the girdle, leave the poly locks loose of course.... that's how I found out.... and that's why it's not installed anymore....
Watch closely while you're tightening the girdle.... watch if it tightens up on one or two rocker nuts first... if it does it might bend the rocker stud when you continue tightening the girdle.... ask me how I know.....

Eventually I'll move the holes a little, it's only like .012" or so on two or three holes, then skim cut the mating surface to improve clamping.... well, I'll do that eventually.... right now the engine is fine without that silly thing :drink:

Maybe the stock nuts for a SB are cheap, but for a BB from GM the (@$&$%# things are real close to $2 each

Try turning the rocker nut after you tightened down the girdle, leave the poly locks loose of course.... that's how I found out.... and that's why it's not installed anymore....
Watch closely while you're tightening the girdle.... watch if it tightens up on one or two rocker nuts first... if it does it might bend the rocker stud when you continue tightening the girdle.... ask me how I know.....

Eventually I'll move the holes a little, it's only like .012" or so on two or three holes, then skim cut the mating surface to improve clamping.... well, I'll do that eventually.... right now the engine is fine without that silly thing :drink:

The girdles are in two halves, and they don't touch eachother. They clamp onto the rocker studs but stay a 1/8" apart. They rely on pressure on the side of the nut to stay in place. Trust me, those nuts aren't moving. Besides, they're poly locks. :smash:

Uh,no. Two different issues.

My stud girlds mount by clamping on to the rocker nuts, which are an inch taller than normal nuts for that purpose. How could they loosen?

BTW, the nuts are poly lock style.

You taught me something. I have never seen those.:clobbered:

Maybe the stock nuts for a SB are cheap, but for a BB from GM the (@$&$%# things are real close to $2 each

Don't buy at the dealer :sos:

BTW, I just saw an advertisement from AFR..... their BB heads are $3000 compared to $1450 for the SB :suicide::suicide::suicide:

You taught me something. I have never seen those.:clobbered:

Here are my stud girdles:

100_2013Small.jpg

Adam, I'm not saying yours are junk like mine but have a close look next time you open the valve covers..... unless you pay close attention you will not notice if the holes are not all in line. Mine clamped on two nuts first, then on others...resulting in bending the studs it clamped on first.... not much, only .010-.015 or so but enough to worry me and throw off the rocker clearance.... check your rocker/valve clearance before and after tightening the girdle, that is how I found out mine is garbage.... :sweat: